Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Camp Grace 2011

Well, this post is slightly overdue.
June 26-July 2 I was at the most amazing and blessed camp in Wyoming: Camp Grace (put on by the American Missionary Fellowship.)
You may remember my post from last year. (Camp Grace 2010) This year wasn't so different from the last, except for different classes, new memories, closer relationships to friends, and a stronger walk with God.




The Classes

The titles of the classes I had this year were The Christian Atheist, Slave To...?, and Being Who God Has Made Us.
In the Christian Atheist we were given the books "The Christian Atheist" (by Craig Groeschel), and we discussed how we can be Christians but live as though God isn't in our lives. I think that hit home with a lot of the senior high class. It did for me, anyway.
Our next class, Slave To...?, taught about how we switch from being a slave to sin to being a slave to God.
Being Who God Has Made Us we learned about who God is and finding His will in our lives.
Each of the classes were soo fun to go to and I learned so much. Being at a Christian camp is awesome, because you get to be in fellowship with so many other Believers.

Chapel

Wow, talk about passion! Tears were shed and lives were changed. I was so thrilled that Scott Stinson was the speaker, because when he talks about God and the gift of salvation he fills the room with electricity. God was definitely speaking through him that week.

Missions

I chuckled when I learned that the missionary went to school and camp with my mom. She and he husband worked with DELTA ministries. They taught on how Acts 1:8 is basically the game plan for spreading the Gospel, and how we can evangelize in our neighborhood, country, and world. It was neat to see my mom (who was a cook again this year) get to know her old friend again.

 Recreation & Surprise Time

For recreation again this year we played volleyball and human stratego (if you've never played that game before... go do it!!) But we also got to enjoy some very creative relay races. Unfortunately, we didn't get to climb to the cross this year.
Surprise time, like always, was hilarious. I volunteered the first night and got chosen. I wonder if I have some sort of mental problem, volunteering myself for public embarrassment over and over again?  I walked up there and was shoved to the front of the line of high school girls. The gig was "The Bachelor." And the bachelor was none other than this single guy named Travis, who I've known for years. I step up to the plate and my minute to woo the bachelor starts ticking.
Now, in order for my amazing pickup lines to make sense, you must know that Travis is a science teacher.
Here goes. "The speed of light... It's really fast, and um... Shines like your eyeballs. You know, I didn't do so well in science this year... with scientific notation especially... But I know that together, we can figure out scientific notation!"
Ten seconds left. I scramble for anything that might impress Travis.
"The Lord of the Rings are my favorite books AND movies!" I shout just as my time runs out.
Next up was Laura (who I competed against last year). Then Kirsten. When it came time for Travis to give his flower to the girl he choose, he handed it to a girl in the crowd because he couldn't make up his mind.

All In All...

It was another fantastic year at a fantastic camp. I feel so blessed that I have been able to attend six years in a row. I had wonderful cabin mates. Great classes. Best friends. A post-camp neck ache. It was marvelous.
But it wasn't all fun and games. It was deep. Spiritual. Reviving. Maybe it's just being up on a mountain, but when I'm at Camp Grace, I always feel closer to God. This year, I'm taking that closeness down off the mountain. It's coming with me. I hope others made that decision also. Don't leave your closeness with God, the time spent in devotion and prayer, up on that peak.

In His Service,
Brenna

(go to Facebook if you would like to see more photos)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment, I love to hear from you!